Make Your Life Easier
What if I told you that you can add a new Google Calendar event from your smartphone and it gets published to your lodge website, Facebook and Twitter pages automatically for free? I like easy and this is how I had us setup for a long time.
Just follow the below steps to help automate your content creation. This assumes you have already established a Google Calendar that is published to the web and is publicly viewable.
Publishing a Google Calendar to a website https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/41207?hl=en
Add a Google Calendar to your Lodge Facebook Page
For automatic social media publishing of calendar events…
- Sign up for a Google FeedBurner account at https://feedburner.google.com
- Log into your publically shared Google Calendar and go to settings
- Near the bottom of your settings page you’ll see an orange XML icon under Calendar Address, copy that link and set up FeedBurner with that as the source feed
- This creates an RSS feed for your calendar that can tie into other systems
- Sign up for a TwitterFeed account at http://twitterfeed.com/
- Set up this account with your FeedBurner’s RSS feed URL as the source
- You can now connect Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn accounts to receive updates published from TwitterFeed
- Once setup, adding any Google new Google Calendar event takes this path:
- Google Calendar > FeedBurner > TwitterFeed > Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn
- This system doesn’t work for automatic recurring events (like regular stated meetings) but does for one off/manually entered items
Publish your Google Calendar to your website and you have complete coverage.
Additionally, you can also setup your Lodge’s Facebook page to publish to Twitter. The steps are outlined at: https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook/publishing-to-twitter-from-facebook-pages/123006872130
Or automatically copy Twitter posts and reposts to Facebook as outlined here: https://support.twitter.com/articles/31113